Online Costume Recitals
We are excited for you to join us for our Annual Costume Recitals - Online!
Saturday, October 31st - times TBD
Online! Streamed on YouTube Live
Make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel ahead of time to get notifications when we go live!
Please review the information below for instructions and guidelines for recording your video, submitting your final recording, and information regarding when to expect your video to be broadcasted live. All videos need to be submitted by midnight on Saturday, October 17th. Please scroll down to submit a video.
Getting Set Up to Record
- Find a quiet space or room with sufficient lighting.
- Set up a device that can stand upright, in landscape mode, facing you, to record a run-through of your piece (video and audio). We recommend recording using the same device that you use for your online lessons (iPad/tablet, computer, iPhone etc).
- Set up your recording device about 3-5 feet away from where you will be standing/sitting, for better sound quality. Note: If you notice that the sound quality of your recording becomes distorted or "crunchy" when the student plays more loudly, the device may be set up too close to the student. In that case, try moving the device further from the student and recording again. Students playing on a grand piano should also consider lowering/closing the lid of their piano.
- Make sure the device’s camera can see you, your head, your hands, and your instrument (if applicable).
- Get dressed up for the occasion! Students should wear something similar to what they would for an in-person performance.
Click here to view setup diagrams
Recording Your Video (in order)
- Press “record” on your device.
- Please announce:
- Your name and costume, if you choose to wear one.
- The name of your private lesson instructor
- The piece that you will be playing
- Play through your piece from beginning to end.
- When you have finished playing, please stand up and take a bow!
- Press “Stop Record” on your device.
- Listen to (and watch) your recording. Check that you can hear yourself speaking as well as playing. If you need or would like to re-record, feel free! It might take a few run-throughs to get the recording you are most happy with.
- Make sure to save your recording somewhere on your device that you will be able to locate later.
If a family member is available, please assist the student by pressing the device’s “start” and “stop” buttons to begin and end their recording.
Submitting Your Video
*Deadline to Submit Final Recordings: Saturday night, October 17th, by midnight*
Once your teacher has provided the CCSM office with your name and repertoire information, you will be sent an email inviting you to submit your recorded video. If you have received the email already, please follow the instructions below.
- Click the button below (or the link in your email). You will be taken to a web page (via Dropbox.com) that says “Online Costume Recital”.
- Click the blue “+” button. You will be prompted to choose your recorded video file. Please note that you will need to have access to your recording from the device on which you open the link.
- Once you have selected your desired video file, you will be asked to enter a name and email address. Please enter the STUDENT'S first and last name in the space provided, and the email address through which you received the submission link from CCSM. (Faculty performers should enter their information similarly.)
**If you are not given the option to enter name or email address, it may be because your device is already connected to your person Dropbox account. In this case, please re-name your video file as the student's first and last name before uploading.
- Click the blue “Upload” button. Please note that it may take a few minutes for your file to finish uploading. Generally speaking, the faster your internet connection, the faster the file will upload.
- Once your file has finished uploading, you will be taken to a web page that says "Finished Uploading". You may close your browser at that point. You will also receive an email from Dropbox confirming that your file was uploaded to "Online Costume Recital". This is your confirmation that we have received your video(s)!
Recitals will take place on Saturday, October 31st. Exact recital times are in the process of being determined. Depending on the number of students who express interest in participating, we will divide the student/performer recordings into multiple recital-length programs. During the week leading up to the recitals, an announcement will be made that recital times have been finalized, and that information regarding the time of each individual student's livestream is available on our website.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call (909) 624-3012 ext. 101